Monday, May 10, 2004

Marflow

3.19.2004
Tomes, Papers, Derivative Works - Catalogue & notes
There's no less than three variants on the Necronomicon. Giger's are especially intruiging, trully a slice through into repressed imagery and its power. The book of dead names... As if. Al Azif, on the other hand - the influence of that manuscript on all of Arabic and Western occultism cannot be underestimated. Even the copy of the illustrated Goetia contains rituals and entities first hinted at in its black pages, copied and recopied through the ages by the mad, by visionaries, by lepers and priests whose very touch spread sickness and disease, thankfully much of its teachings have been destroyed by the passing of time, by incomplete and incoherent translations. Not that there's a copy of Al Azif here, or if there is I have yet to uncover it. Somewhere among my father's things he had a compendium of faxes and emails sent from scholars in far-off lands, a loose network engaged in a sharing of information for nigh on to fifty years, only recently brought to a kind of critical mass through the advent of instantaneous transmission and replication of knowledge.

With his passing I was left the only relative cognizant enough of the old man's studies to be entrusted with evaluating the overall worth of the collection he had amassed. Sitting here pen in hand and staring at the sheer volume of volumes, I'm a little overwhelmed. Fortunately circumstances in my personal and professional life, i.e. being unemployed and divorced, has afforded me plenty of free time for just such a project into which I hope to lose myself.

'The Monolith and Its People' by Jeffrey Gustav, an epic poem on the Nephilim describes these sexually starved disembodied souls, trapped somewhere between human and angel. "Immortality in 'The Eighth book of Hsan,' a monogram" by Erik Kaiser. 'El-Mamzer,' by Balaam, son of Beor of Pethor, cut into a scroll of sheepskin... not even a book so much as an epic poem, mimicing the hymns of Orpheus in its scope, yet not a single god or spirit mentioned arises in any other literature. That troubles me. There's more here, much more, but doubtless little of it as old as "El-Mamzer," or as rare.

_____________________________________________________

Update***

As mentioned, and in addition:



Agrippa von Nettesheim, Heinrich Cornelius. De incertitudine et vanitate scientiarum. Cologne, 1584 (trans. as The Vanity of Arts and Sciences. London, 1684)

Agrippa von Nettesheim, Heinrich Cornelius. De occulta philosophia libri tres. Cologne, 1533

Albertus Magnus. "De alchemia."

Anon. Le Dragon noir: ou, les forces infernales soumises a l’homme…written 1522?, Mayer: Editions Bussiere, 1995

Anon. "Pneumatologia occulta et vera: (manuscript)" Germany, circa1820

Aristotle?, "Tractus Aristotelis alchymistae ad Alexandrum magnum de lapide philosophico."

Blagrave, Joseph. Astrological practice of physick ... directing how to cast forth the said evil spirits out of any one who is possessed ...(photocopies postmarked 1987:london) London : Printed for Obadiah Blagrave, 1671

Bousset, Wilhelm. Hauptprobleme der Gnosis. (Forschungen der Religion und Literatur des Alten und Neuen Testaments, 10) Göttingen, 1907

Crawley, Alfred Ernest. The Idea of the Soul. London, 1909

Crowley, Aleister. 777. Hastings: Metaphysical Research Group, 1977

Crowley, Aleister. The Book of Thoth. New York: Samuel Weiser, 1944

Dannseys, Peter. 1971. "Disturbing Irregularities in Lunar Photographic Files." Master's Thesis, Provo State College

Dannseys, Peter. 1978. "Reassessing Anomalous Servitor Behavior," Medieval Metaphysics Journal 71:280-311

Dee, John. "Monas hieroglyphica."

de Sede, Gerard. La Race fabuleuse Editions J'ai Lui, Paris, 1973

Falk, Johannes. Papyri Graecae Magicae Berlin, 1878

Godwin, David. Godwin's Cabalistic Encyclopedia. St. Paul: Llewellyn Publications, 1979

Grant, Kenneth Aleister Crowley and the Hidden God New York: Samuel Weiser, 1974

Iamblichus. Theurgia or The Egyptian Mysteries written 323? New York: The Metaphysical Publishing Co. 1911

Lauf, Detlef Ingo, The Secret Doctrines of the Tibetian Book of the Dead. Boulder: Shambhala, 1978

Mauvais, Michel. Négromantien; Secrets magiques, rares et surprenants(photocopies postmarked 1987:london) written 1308? Memphis: 1517

Oliverius, Phillipus Coniuratio malignorum spirituum in corporibus hominii existentium… Venice: Apud Dominicum de Farris, 1567

Shah, Idries. The Secret Lore of Magic, New York: Citadel Press, 1970

Sinistrari, Lodovico Maria (1622-1701) Demonality; or, incubi and succubi; a treatise. (photocopies postmarked 1987:london) Paris: Isidore Liseux, 1879

Thyraeus, Petrus Loca infesta hoc est infestibus ob molestantes daemonorum … Lugudunum: Apud Iohannem Pillehotte, 1599

Weyer, Johann, Opera omnia. Editio nova et hactenus desiderata.Amstelodami, Apud Petrum vanden Berge, 1660.







3.21.2004
Key to the Piri Re'is Map
There's a number of photocopies or printouts of this map in with a folder of drawings. Most of the drawings seem to be of cliff faces, and there's something round in the foreground - a city?



Nicknames?
I've run across a number of pen names, nom de plumes, my father apparently used while communicating with his friends, and I'm going to try and compile them here over time. Seems he wasn't just talking with other scholars through the university. 'Fr. sstossh' is how he seems to have signed a great deal of his correspondance - an anagram of "Secretum secretorum tu operans sis secretus horum" roughly translated "secret of secrets thou workst them be the secret in them." (note, look into The Lemniscate Society)

Also: A package came today from Trinidad, looks to have been posted some time ago.

A book caught my eye, a book on curses, hexes, and witchcraft in Pennsylvania in the 1940's, looks to be privately bound. It's inscribed "Sstossh," then either "bewary,Fr. Az," or it could say "be war? Fr. Az." And there's definately a glyph of the planet mars in the same brown ink beside the inscription. Strangely, it looks to have never been read, and I found it in with a bunch of cancelled checks and old reciepts.


3.24.2004
Packages
Trinidad package contained a stone, looked like an ordinary river rock, wrapped in a very colorful cloth with designs all over it.


Daily Routine
It's cold up in these woods. Every morning I wake up, stare out across the lake, and think about my dreams. Since I first arrived, I've been having these very vivid dreams. Part of it is that I haven't been smoking since the funeral and I'm on the patch, it's a side effect listed right there on the package. And I'm up in the mountains, these high altitudes mess with a person's sense of perspective, and some of that is bound to transfer to my dreams. This morning, for example, I dreamed I was outside, on the slopes, up above sitting or lying on the shale and staring out across the valley. Then far away, behind the next peak, a bird or bat or something comes up from beyond, and nestles itself into the peak. Except if it was visible to me across the valley, it must have been the size of an airplane. I knew its name in the dream but I can't remember it now.

So I wake up from that and it's freezing. I've been living in California, coming up here to dad's cabin in March is an incredible shock to the system. If I'd been thinking I would have purchased an electric blanket. Anyway I wake up and fix some coffee, then stare at the crates of papers. Dad never jumped onto the whole 'computer thing.' As a result, I have nearly two hundred pounds of loose manuscripts to scan & proof, in addition to cataloguing the various collected fetishes and arcanum that my father had boxed away in the attic.

So I spend about two hours scanning and proofing (this freaking 386 needs an upgrade) before breaking for lunch. There's a decent stock of canned and freeze dried food, and nearly fifty pounds of frozen meat out in the garage, so I haven't yet visited the local grocery. I haven't been out in town much, just a visit to the post office and the cable company, settle dad's accounts, pick up a forwarding address mailer.

Throughout the afternoon I try to devote to cataloguing, but I often find myself staring out into space, thinking instead of the time we went to Roswell together after mom died, or the afternoon spent fishing up above Galena Summit. These old and dusty tomes, no matter how valuable, can hardly hold my interest. So I'll set up some logs and start a fire in the wood burning stove, then fix another meal to eat by television light.





3.31.2004
New dream
I must have a great deal of repressed rage.

My dreams have been somewhat calmer lately, until last night. Last night the power went out, and as I sat there in the dark, realizing I'd just lost I don't know how much data, I found myself wondering what it was worth. The power outage, the overall weight of the dark,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watching/Reading:
Hiring Revolution